It is neither a good idea nor cheap to drop a fire poker on top of your closed laptop and thus cracking the LCD monitor. You’re welcome.
Archive for February, 2011
Here are the facts:
- Sex was God’s idea from the very beginning. So was marriage.
- The Fall (introduction of sin) caused a lot of issues with sex, love, beauty, intimacy, marriage, relationships (remember how God intended it – Genesis 2:25). These issues manifest often at the Living Stones Church.
- Today – 50% of marriages will end in divorce.
- Single women are statistically happier than married women (the opposite is true of men).
- 84% of women confess to having sex with their man to get him to help out around the house.
- Less than 50% of marriages report having a satisfactory sex life.
- 1/3 of women who have affairs do so because they were “bored.”
- 30-60% of marriages will go through infidelity.
- By age 19 – 7 in 10 teens will have had sex (the average age is 17)
- A couple gets a divorce every 10-13 seconds.
- 12% of married people sleep alone.
- According to surveys, the most fulfilling year of marriage is the 35th year of marriage.
- 60% of couples live together before getting married. Couples who live together before marriage are statistically less likely to stay married.
- Women instigate 75% of divorces. A large percentage of men report they never saw it coming. Experts call it the “Everythings Okay factor.”
- 54% of men think about sex several times a day. Another 43% of men think about it a few times a week or month. The other 3% are in a coma (OK…I actually made up that last statistic…but I think it could be true).
- The average sex session lasts 3-10 minutes. (I’m feeling better about myself all of a sudden 🙂 )
- 93% of singles WILL get married.
- The average number of times per year a person has sex – 103 (WHAT?!?!?)
- Dealing with issues of sex, marriage, love, relationships, intimacy, etc. require divine help, empowerment, and guidance.
- God knit all of us together as sexual beings…which means this topic and theme is FOR EVERYONE and your absence will be interpreted by me as greater dysfunction in this area of your life than you are willing to face up to (no pressure or anything). 🙂 [OK…that last one isn’t really a fact]
Enter…THE SONG OF SONGS. A book that is unlike any other in the Scriptures. In the end, it is a collection of songs celebrating the reality that God created them MALE and FEMALE…and it was good…
…except, it often isn’t good. It is often…painful, wounding, passionless, abusive, lonely, mundane, lifeless, and dysfunctional.
So, we begin a six-week message series this Sunday to explore the depths of the Song of Songs to rediscover how to live our lives before God as the sexual and relational creatures he designed us to be.
We will study together to move, as a community of faith, to being a Kingdom-centered people who live our lives in such a way that it is a sign and witness of what God has always intended for his world – whether it be as a teenager, a married couple, a single, someone who is divorced, or widowed.
Pursuit: Love, Sex, and Beauty.
This Sunday – 9:30, 11:30, and 5:30 pm (the 5:30 service will have candles…in case you need mood lighting for the topic…I’m just sayin’ 🙂 )
1. This series is rated PG-12. If you have children birth to 3rd grade, we STRONGLY recommend they attend Kids Kanyon. 4-5th graders will be dismissed to their normal class at the sermon. Everything else is appropriate for 6th grade and up. If you are wondering why, it is because the average age of a child who discovers online pornography is 11. So, trust me…your sixth grader needs to know this too.
2. [If my biological children, mom & dad, grandmother, and perhaps sister don’t want to hear me speak on this topic…I recommend Southgate Church @ 10:30 a.m.] 🙂
3. I’m a fellow traveler in this topic and not an expert. So, I’m asking my wife not to scowl, snicker, pfft, or “whatever” me during this series of messages.
[this is at least a week overdue… 😦 ]
A week ago Sunday we celebrated our five year anniversary as the Living Stones Church. And when I say we “celebrated“…I mean we literally had a birthday party in honor of the occasion. And it was one of my favorite Sundays to date. Highlights for me:
- Great turnout and energy (almost broke a non-Easter record). Our first Sunday as the Living Stones Church we had 123 people in attendance. A week ago Sunday we had over 5X that!
- The worship band was crazy good!
- We started the morning with a little bit of the cha-cha slide (yes…that one…”EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS….”)
- Rachelle Costello wrote a song for the occasion. It was entitled, “Super Hero.” I loved it. And the church did too. I love the creativity, words, and heart behind this song. It should be in our repertoire of songs. And it should be the first cut of a Living Stones Church worship album (hint…hint…worship band…).
- Doug Harsch put together a documentary (see below) to help tell our history and story. No one but God (and maybe Beth) will truly know how much time time it took to prep, film, edit, render, etc. this video.
- We had balloons everywhere. And not just any balloons – but helium filled LSC balloons (with our logo…yes…we’re fancy like that).
- We had blow horns, confetti poppers, party hats, etc. which we all used as we concluded our “Happy Birthday to Us.”
- We served Martin’s gourmet cupcakes to everyone (yes…I said gourmet).
- We handed out party favors – a bag with our logo along with a water bottle with our logo, and some candy.
- I got to cast vision for where we are going.
It was a great day. I’m excited for what God has done in and among us. I trust the next five years we will continue to see growth, and Kingdom expansion in our midst. It’s humbling.
From this morning’s South Bend Community School menu. Today is “Black History Month Menu.”